Latest update: 25th May 2018
FRIENDLY CREATIVES is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using our website or services, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
FRIENDLY CREATIVES may change this policy from time to time and will inform you of these changes in our newsletter – if you have unsubscribed from this, or did not opt in to it when you first submitted your personal data to us, you may need to check our website (or that of the business through whom we have received your details) for updates. This policy is effective from May 25th 2018.
By submitting any script, or script sample, or other related information to us or other companies or individuals who we work with in the writing industry, you agree:
- To the accuracy of the information provided.
- That the material submitted is your sole and original work and that your own all rights to it.
- To my holding Friendly Creatives, Screenwriters Forum and all those involved in them, harmless from and defends them against all claims demands, losses, costs, damages, judgements, liabilities and expenses (including lawyers’ fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any stories submitted to the organisation or on any screenplay developed out of such stories.
- That you recognise that Friendly Creatives, Screenwriters Forum and those involved in the initiative to which this submitted entry pertains, may have access to, and/or, may have created, or have commissioned, through some other independent source, or may have otherwise acquired, literary materials and concepts, similar to the material submitted hereunder, in theme, idea, plot, format, or in any other respect. You agree that you will not under such circumstances, be entitled to any compensation, nor consideration of any kind, through the use by ourselves of any material so acquired. The ownership of any literary work submitted shall remain vested in the author, until otherwise assigned by contract.
- That the burden of obtaining copyright or otherwise protecting any proprietary interests in the material rests entirely with you.
- That you will treat as confidential any scripts, script samples or other information about the work of other writers and producers. You will not retain copies of these and will securely delete those you are given after you have read them for the purposes intended.
EU-U.S. Privacy Shield
FRIENDLY CREATIVES LTD, our parent company, is UK-based and is regulated by the UK Information Commissioner’s Office. To provide some services to you, such as newsletters, we may use third-party providers based outside the UK but subject to the EU-US Privacy Shield for your protection. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, the U.S. Department of Commerce has a Privacy Shield List you can view.
With respect to personal data, FRIENDLY CREATIVES is subject to the requirements of the ICO. We may sometimes be required to provide personal data information to lawful requests from public authorities, including national security or law enforcement requirements.
What we collect
- Full details of what data types we collect are provided below with additional information.
- We do not store credit card details. Nor do we share customer details with any 3rd parties other than in order to execute our responsibility to judge and promote writers and their scripts to a high standard, as defined in any contracts or Terms and Conditions.
- We will not knowingly record, store, use or process the personal data of individuals below the age of 18.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to fulfil our contractual commitments to you, to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To fulfil our contracts with you, and provide you with whatever services or information you have opted to receive.
- Compliance with statutory regulations, for example those preventing money laundering and fraud.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided, unless you have unticked an option to receive our marketing when you submitted your details to FRIENDLY CREATIVES, or have subsequently unsubscribed from our mailing list on the relevant platform(s). EU citizens have an absolute right to object to direct marketing: guidance information is below.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email or other digital media platforms. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests. EU citizens have an absolute right to object to this: guidance information is below.
FRIENDLY CREATIVES address as data controller (UK): c/o 155 Millhouse Road, Birmingham B25 8QS. The UK’s laws and controls will apply to our activities.
EU Data Controller and Data Protection Officer: Ian Kennedy
Processor’s representative in the EU: c/o 155 Millhouse Road, Birmingham B25 8QS (UK)
Your rights as a Data Subject, if we hold your personal data:
Your data will held for fixed terms, not indefinitely, and wherever we hold your data due to your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent on a modular (individualised) basis. We may request proof of your identity in order to ensure that your data is not provided to anyone impersonating you.
Using Data Subject Access Requests, you have the right to: find out what information we hold on you; access that information; and rectify any errors. All of those requests will be fulfilled for free, within 30 days of the request. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.
EU citizens also have a legal right (from May 2018) to:
- withdraw their consent for us to hold and use single (or general) aspects of their personal data, if that data is held due to consent rather than another legal basis;
- opt-out or restrict any ‘automatic processing’ or ‘profiling’ that our systems may make about you without human input;
- have your data transferred to another suitable provider in a commonly-readable format on request, if that does not violate our other legal requirements; bring class actions;
- object to receiving any direct marketing; and the ‘right to be forgotten’.
All of these rights will be applied without charge on request, within 30 days of the request. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect without charging a fee for this.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps you to interact with our website, analyses our web traffic, or lets you know when you visit a particular site. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website. We do not keep or use any records of individual user data that may be available from our cookies, website hosts or other related services.
Links to other websites
Our websites may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the option that you can select to indicate that you wish to be contacted for direct marketing purposes.
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting, if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
We receive and retain personal data in compliance with the relevant international laws, including the EU GDPR which came into force in May 2018. Some personal data information is requested and stored for legal reasons, such as to help government authorities verify that we are not conducting any money laundering or fraud within our activities (referred to below as ‘AML’). We have provided a table below, to show what personal data we hold, what legal basis we have for holding it, and how long we retain that data. We do not collect or use personal data such as email addresses from other platforms such as Twitter without consent.
Please note that where the business relies on externally owned platforms, such to host our online services and to process payments, that platform may hold copies, records or backups of its own of the relevant data of FRIENDLY CREATIVES users. These may be beyond our knowledge or control or ability to delete. It is the responsibility of those platforms to ensure that they remain legally compliant at all times and provide sufficient information security. While we are committed to deleting on request users’ personal data from whatever records we have access to, and to preventing security breaches as far as is realistically possible, FRIENDLY CREATIVES cannot be held responsible for breaches or other failings caused by any externally owned platform or its staff. We will at all times endeavour to fulfil our own data protection responsibilities, select only providers with strong data protection credentials, and hold them to account for failures.
Please note that we consider that users who submit scripts to us or register for our marketing are demonstrating an interest in both scriptwriting opportunities and in developing their writing and their potential writing careers, and our ongoing marketing activity is designed to help users in these goals. Therefore, although we delete all other data after 5 years, we generally retain newsletter subscriber details for up to 15 years or until the user unsubscribes, as writing careers often take many years to succeed, and our communications can remain useful to them on an ongoing basis. However, we ensure that users can easily unsubscribe from any or all of our marketing using the ‘Unsubscribe’ options provided by the relevant platform, and can revoke their consent for any or all other marketing on request, by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.
Index of Personal Data
|Type of data||Legal basis for holding this data||Duration of retention of this data||How to revoke consent (where appropriate)|
|Your Name, and related personal information||In order to fulfil contract or enquiries as specified in Terms and Conditions||For up to 15 years for e-marketing – but fully deletable from these records any time if consent is withdrawn. For all other purposes, relevant data is retained for 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required, and this data is securely deleted after 5 years.||Unsubscribe from any marketing individually using the options provided within the relevant platform or form, and/or by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.|
|Email address, and related personal contact information||In order to fulfil enquiries or contract or as specified in any Terms and Conditions||For up to 15 years for e-marketing – but fully deletable from these records any time if consent is withdrawn. For all other purposes, relevant data is retained for 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required, and this data is securely deleted after 5 years.||Unsubscribe from any marketing platform or mailing list individually using the options provided within the relevant platform or form, and/or by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.|
|Postal address, and related personal information||AML/ verification||5 years (relevant data retained for 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required).||Unsubscribe from any marketing individually using the options provided within the relevant platform, and/or by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk.|
|Script/ submission, including title, story synopsis, submission format, length of script, content of script, and other related information||Consent to manage your submission as specified in any Terms and Conditions||5 years (to enable us to recontact you if a later opportunity emerges for a script of your type within the industry which we feel we can help with).||Consent can be withdrawn at any time by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, though it may prove impossible to retract information that was shared with peers previously as requested.|
|Other authors names, and related personal information||To prevent false attribution which could lead to complaints and legal challenges||5 years (relevant data retained for 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required).||Consent can be withdrawn at any time by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, though it may prove impossible to retract information that was shared with peers previously as requested.|
|User’s biographical information, user’s Twitter handle, information about how the user found out about us, demographic information and personal interests, and other related information||Consent to manage your submission as specified in Terms and Conditions||5 years (relevant data retained for a maximum of 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required).||Consent can be withdrawn at any time by emailing info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, though it may prove impossible to retract information that was shared with peers previously as requested.|
|User’s payment details, and related information||In order to fulfil contract as specified in Terms and Conditions, and to enable refunds in the event of dispute or withdrawal of services. AML/ verification.||5 years (relevant data retained for 5 years to ensure our ability to comply with all statutory bodies wherever required). FRIENDLY CREATIVES does not store any credit or debit card details.||To request earlier deletion from our records, email info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, and we will review your rights and our statutory duties.|
|Business information and branding materials, website backups and login information||Only the personally identifying information submitted is covered by data protection laws, however other information is subject to copyright, licensing, commercial sensitivity and other restrictions.||We only handle or store the information that we need in order to fulfil your requests or our contracts with you.||To query this, email info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, and we will review your rights and our statutory duties on a case-by-case basis.|
|Other personal data types||From time to time, FRIENDLY CREATIVES may change or update its practices, for example in order to remain legally compliant or to ensure the data security of our users. We will notify you of any new data types which we begin to store or process. Where consent is our legal basis for doing so, EU citizens’ data will not be used unless we have received their specific and informed consent.||To be confirmed (variable, dependent upon reason for holding or using this data).||To query this, email info@FRIENDLYCREATIVES.co.uk, and we will review your rights and our statutory duties on a case-by-case basis.|